Monday, September 3, 2018

Calling Night Nurse!


I never bought Night Nurse. I regret it, but alas, there are only so many comics a kid can get on a limited budget and such a clearly "girly" comic just is not going to make the cut. But I do regret it now as a mature adult who can see the value in such real-life dramas.


Night Nurse was part of three-comic push by Mighty Marvel to break the choke hold that men had on the comic marketplace. They offered up The Cat, Shanna the She-Devil and Night Nurse, all written by women and in the case of The Cat drawn by a woman -- Marie Severin. It was a worthy effort, if in typical Marvel style a tad ham-handed.


None of the three found a lasting audience. The Cat lasted four issues, Shanna lasted five, and Night Nurse left the stands after a mere quartet of appearances. The Cat went on to become Tigra and found a measure of success in that role, blending Marvel's feminist push and monster mash in a single character. Shanna found romance in the arms of Ka-Zar and eventually found an audience there for her nigh-naked jungle antics. But Night Nurse disappeared into the...ahem...night.




Apparently she's turned up time from time in the background of various Marvel comics of the modern day, and as a consequence her four individual comics found a reprint berth in 2015. I missed it and so once again Night Nurse trod her rounds with diligence and verve, but I was not privy to the nobleness of the lovely lady in white -- my loss.


I'd love to find this reprint volume somewhere, but so far no luck. The search goes on. On a brighter note, these three comics were featured in the latest issue of Alter Ego, so get that one if you want. 

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Nurses were big in 70's Grindhouse Cinema. I was working as a kid usher when our theater showed a double feature of (I think) Night Call Nurses and Private Duty Nurses. My favorite exploitation nurse was Pam Grier as Coffy. Not exactly feminist fare, but I wonder if the preponderance of this stuff gave Martin Goodman the idea to order up a nurse comic. They were certainly all over the Men's Sweat magazines. And it's not as if a Jungle Girl or a Cat-Woman were forward-thinking female comics roles, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the irony of these "women" comics as they were clearly meant for boys on many levels, usually the most basic ones.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Hm, I thought the Night Nurse reprint book was pretty easy to find, at least online. That's one I wouldn't mind having, but I have to contend with the high postage to Europe.

    By the way, Rip, I left a comment on an old post of yours, but I'm not sure if you get notifications and/or check news comments on older stuff - I wanted to let you know about a new Kickstarter you'd find interesting: a hardcover reprint of the Lonely War of Capt. Willy Schultz. It looks like it's pretty close to reaching its funding goal, and there's still almost a month to go.
    -Edo Bosnar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosario Dawson's Claire Temple on the Marvel Netflix shows is a Night Nurse/Claire Temple mash-up

    ReplyDelete