Monday, February 13, 2012

A Nora Hope!


The classic Star Wars poster by Tom Jung really captures the grandeur of the original movie, and it also seems to capture the likenesses of two of the stars. Both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher seem to be represented by the two heroic figures in the foreground.


That's quite unlike the exceedingly similar Brothers Hildebrandt version of this classic image. This one seems to have been done without specific actor references from the film.



I spent the weekend watching classic Thin Man movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as the witty sleuthing couple Nick and Nora Charles, and after that prolonged exposure to the gorgeous Myrna as Nora, I noticed that the female figure on the Hildebrandt poster seems remarkably like her, especially her exotic narrow eyes and her lovely pouting mouth.

I put it out there for your consideration.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. I've been watching "The Thin Man" too. They're a lot of fun.

    It's funny I have another friend online that is in love with Myrna Loy. There is just something about her, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Rip. Leia does look like Myrna Loy. I'd never have noticed that. Speaking of Myrna, I seem to recall reading a long time ago that she once shaved her eyebrows off for a movie role and they never grew back. I don't know if I dreamed that or not, because I've never been able to find a reference to it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much ignored Myrna Loy until I happened to get a load of her in Fu Manchu alongside Boris Karloff. She is sizzling bombshell in that movie! It made me a convert to the Shrine of Loy.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete