Thursday, September 22, 2011

Judo-Mistress!


I've not read a single story featuring Sonia Sato, the current "Judomaster" of the DC Universe. She first showed up in Birds of Prey and has since appeared in Justice Society of America and JSA All-Stars. Here are all the covers with the distinctive miss Sato that I can locate. What her status is in the new DCU I don't have a clue.

The design of Judomaster is a fantastic look and looks pretty good adapted on a lady for sure. But this stuff about an "aversion field" which protects her from direct attacks seems silly to me. (Reminds of Black Canary's oddball sonic powers.) Judomaster, girl or boy, should be a master of martial arts only in my mind. But then I'm biased to the classic original Hadley "Rip" Jagger. He sadly appears to be currently demised at DC, but you never know in the wacky world of comics where getting killed off can really kick-start a career sometimes.


















You can barely find her on some of these covers. She must not be very popular. Sigh.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that female version of the costume is pretty bad! Boob-sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice it depends a lot on who the artist is and from which angle they show it. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it looks goofy.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete