Friday, February 26, 2010

Shots Fired!


This is rather grisly, but I cannot help what crossed my mind when I looked at the cover of the comic book above.

It features a smiling and upbeat image of John F. Kennedy, the then new President of the United States and I'll be darned if that doesn't look like a bullet hole in the middle of the capitol building.


I was reminded of one of the more bizarre cover gimmicks of the 90's when those things were all the rage just before the utter collapse of the collector's market. It's the cover of Malibu's The Protectors #5 with a die-cut hole right through the comic positioned in such a way as to appear to be a bullet hole in the chest of the Nightmask, one of the revived (albeit briefly) Centaur heroes who populated this group comic.

It's a grim comparison and I apologize, but it's what I thought of.

If you're interested, you can read the complete JFK comic at this location:

JOHN F. KENNEDY COMIC BOOK

The Protectors comic can be likely found in any discount comics bin in the local solar system. There are a lot of those buggers out there.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment