Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Box Full Of Segars!

I chomped at last and popped for the Fantagraphics Popeye books by Segar. These are oversized extravaganzas of the earliest Popeye madness. I've been enjoying the Fleisher cartoons in the great collections which have been coming out in recent years, so it was only natural I'd finally get to the source itself. These are really giant books. I've seen the first one in a store and picked it up and perused it, but didn't bite on the $30 price tag. Amazon though offered up all three existing volumes for just under $20 each along with the upcoming fourth volume for the same and I couldn't resist regardless of the local economy. They showed up yesterday in the biggest box I've gotten from Amazon ever. These big old books demand being read in a prone position. It's difficult to read them like a normal book, but they are neatly designed. The cover features a die-cut which looks through to a second cover. It's a bit over-the-top but it's certainly distinctive. When I'm going to fit these in is anyone's guess, but I must read them sooner than later. I must know about Popeye's for-true story. Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment