Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Last Phantom!















The Phantom leaving Moonstone was a pretty big disappointment. I thought Mike Bullock and the artists there had a bead on the character at long last which was compelling and modern, while cleaving true to the essence of the classic Lee Falk creation. The shift to Dynamite was not something I followed, mostly due to the exhausting number of variant covers the company insists on generating for their comics. Most of the variants are pointless money grabs, but then of course nothing says you have to buy them.

I decided to wait for the eventual trade collections, but then I mostly forgot about it. I need to look at these more closely, if only to further enjoy the simply outstanding Alex Ross covers. I don't know what's going on with the Phantom in those blood-drenched (or is that berry juice) early covers, but I confess to being curious.

All of the run is contained in a couple of collections. It might be time to give them a tumble. I don't think I want this Phantom upset with me. He seems quite angry.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. There wasn't much good about Dynamites "Phantom" series, other than those Ross covers, and even they barely qualify as a representation of Lee Falks classic character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't dropped a dime on these trades yet, so I must beware. Thanks for the heads up.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete