Saturday, July 1, 2023

The Summer Of The Garuda Continues!



That's a sumptuous piece of art Frank Kelly Freas whipped up for the debut issue of Marvel's Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction. I can see why Marvel had the late great John Romita Jr. touch it up. His figures are a bit more realistic, and the lighting effects are sharper. But I still like the Freas original as well. 



This month kicks off the second part of my look at all things UFO and associated things paranormal such as the Mothman. I had planned in the beginning of June to have a lot of comics reading as a part of this, but as I kept adding to my stack of vintage UFO tomes the comics got edged out. 


Some of that slack will be taken up by the tremendous art book Wally Wood - Galaxy Art and Beyond which showcases some of Wood's finest illustrations. 


And also the delightful tome Frank R. Paul: Father of Science Fiction Art. Paul's vivid color art on vintage science fiction magazines defined the field. His stuff can be a bit of its time, but it's always beautiful to behold. 



I will wrap up my look at Jack Katz's The First Kingdom as well. Soon this month we wrap up the vintage material already released in magazine format and told the long saga of Tundran. This month also look to see how Katz polished off his epic saga with two standalone volumes produced for Titan Books. 


I will also be spending this month continuing my look at the dizzy science fiction (science fact?) from Richard S. Shaver. His wild "Shaver Mystery" yarns of underground societies filled with dangerous creatures from times gone by have a real hold on me. They don't always make sense, but they have proven to be a lot of fun. 






And look for a bevy of new movie reviews of classic flickers. The one thing they all have in common is alien invasion. I've talked around many of these movies over the years here, but these will be the first reviews in a strict sense. Lots of cinema and lots and lots of aliens. 


It's another hefty summer month and I haven't mentioned a red, white and blue Fourth of July surprise. 

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Some interesting things to look forward to here. I wasn't aware John Romita "touched up" and make it much better than the already wonderful Kelly Freas cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romita's changes do indeed make it a stronger comic book cover, more punch!

      Delete