Saturday, December 25, 2021

Mister Magoo's A Christmas Carol!


Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol has long been the holiday special I most wanted to get my mitts on. For some reasons or other it has eluded me for years, until now. I picked it up the other day along with several other holiday hits like the venerable Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (my childhood favorite) and the always surprisingly entertaining Frosty the Snowman.


Certainly no one needs to be told this story of a greedy miser who lives only for his wealth at the expense of all those around him and even, as he learns, himself.


A man who sees himself as a young boy and young man disappointed by those around him and who seeks solace in his accumulated wealth and relative comfort.


Who discovers that others enjoy the holiday despite their meager incomes and circumstances, and celebrate those parts of life which are not dependent upon the cold vagaries of the marketplace.


And of course he learns that he himself will die alone and little remembered at all, save as selfish old man who put himself above all else. 

But it is the miracle of this classic that Scrooge learns his lesson and changes his ways to become a different man who supposedly will live into a very different future. It is the kind of miracle that we can, each and every one of us choose each day to make a difference. It is a timeless tale, which speaks to all of us who get caught up in our own lives and forget that so many others in this world need our help and our attention.


So you've unwrapped your presents, now enjoy the day and see to it that others do likewise. I'm going to try to myself. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all! 

NOTE: I am happy to re-post this glance at the Mister Magoo classic, and I hope I remember to make it an annual tradition at the Dojo. Seeing Mister Magoo makes me laugh and seeing him change as Scrooge makes me happy. I hope it gives you a smile too. 

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Rip (I posted a comment yesterday but apparently it got lost in the ether so hopefully you'll receive this one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got your message and Merry Christmas again. I've been out of town at my daughters for the holiday but appreciate the warm thoughts here.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, RJ. Mark Evanier talks about this cartoon over on his blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good one,and deserving of its reputation even if Mister Magoo is an obscure figure these days.

      Delete