Monday, December 28, 2020

Is That A Dalek In Your Pocket?


Like lots of folks I'm a fan of Doctor Who. Now truth told I'm a fan of the classic series and while I find virtue in the newer stuff I've discovered it sort of wears me out with attempts to heart-wrenching and poignant a little overwhelming at times when I just want some good old science fiction adventure. But I know I can be cranky about such things. One of the better Doctor Who shows I've seen in recent years was An Adventure in Time and Space which tells a almost certainly romanticized tale of how the show came to be and how William Hartnell (performed wonderfully by David Bradley) came to play the first Doctor. In that show I met Verity Lambert for the first time and learned of her significant role in launching the series. Without that special I don't think I'd have understood the picture above of Lambert embracing a Dalek, the genocidal alien cyborgs that made the show a hit. 


And then I found another one with Jill Curzon lovingly astride a Dalek. She was Peter Cushing's niece in the 1966 theatrical Doctor Who movie Dalek's Invasion of Earth 2150. I just got to see relatively recently and liked it quite a lot, much more than the first of Cushing's Doctor Who movies. I find I like the Doctor on Earth which is why Jon Pertwee is arguably my favorite Doctor. 


And then I was reminded me of another Dalek image, this one with Katy Manning ("Jo Grant" the spicy assistant to Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor) embracing one of the machines in a decided state of undress. (Those are nice boots you have to admit.) I assume now that this image, aside from being provocative as it showcases a former Companion in the all-together, is an homage to the original Lambert and Curzon photos. Either that or pictures of handsome women clutching alien death machines is a British thing I'm not yet fully cognizant of. 

Rip Off 

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting point, RJ; was Katy deliberately referencing the earlier photos, or do Daleks have such massive sex appeal that women just can't help but drape themselves around them? Tough question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a question that deserves much further research. I'm willing to give up my time to look into this extensively. I'll need a standard Dalek and a bevy of handsome young women and we can begin the work with proper scientific rigor.

      Delete
    2. Count me in - though I'd prefer pretty (at least) young women rather than just 'handsome' ones.

      Delete