Friday, December 25, 2020

In The Blacklight Of The Day


This country and the world is about to shuffle off the hate-filled leadership of a man from an olden time, a man ruled by bitter old-fashioned ideas about ethnicity and race. I choose this remarkable day to be hopeful and I am looking forward to a time of better and more civil conversations, tempered with a mutual respect for the ideas, experiences, and fundamental humanity of others. I might be foolish to imagine that the nation and the world will reset so quickly, but I wish it to be so and today I extend an offer to you to join me in my hope for a kinder and gentler world. I of course am not the only one to hope for such, not now and not in the past. Here is a sermon by Martin Luther King Jr. that says it all so much better than I am able to. I am always struck when I listen or read his words at the way he is able to conjoin the immediate concerns of a particular time decades gone with ongoing concerns of a future he would not live to see. 


Be safe out there amigos. As Red Green so wisely says "We're all in this together." 

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Rip. It can't be said too often, especially in these increasingly anxious and fragmented days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a Christmas morning which saw a bombing in Nashville, the hope for peace is all the more important.

      Delete