Wednesday, December 2, 2020

All Comics Small And Great!


When Mighty Marvel blasted onto the pop culture scene in the 1960's there were few domains that didn't see some indication of the success of this little comic book operation. Toys, models, coloring books, and on and on. But one of the most peculiar bits of Marvel flotsam were the Marvel Comics Mini-Books which were available only in coin-operated machines found at the barbershop, the grocery store and suchlike.


These are tiny thumbnail size "comics" (the image above is pretty much life-size) featuring some of Marvel's most high-profile heroes of the era. In addition to the Amazing Spider-Man you could get a book for Thor, Hulk and Captain America. Add to that a Sgt. Fury booklet for war comics fans and even a Millie the Model tomette for the distaff side of the market. I have some vague memories of getting at least one of these (Hulk I think) with my Merry Marvel Marching Society kit. These little items have been fondly remembered by us fans of that time, but I never really imagined I'd be able to get hold of them. Now I have...sort of. 


Now Marvel or more specifically Abrams ComicArts is reprinting them, not just in their original size thank goodness since most of the demographic for this product are wearing bifocals, but in a somewhat larger format. Neatly gathered into a nifty slipcase it's a handsome product. In addition to the six booklets there is also a seventh scholarly tome written by Mark Evanier who describes his own fervor in acquiring these little gems. It took many many quarters and much diligence and patience but eventually he landed all six and as any fan knows, it's utter pleasure when that collection is finally complete. What to do with it then is always a nagging question, but that never occurs to the fanboy completist burning with lust. 


The stories themselves are pretty hapless with art on four of them by Marie Severin (Spider-Man, Thor, Sgt. Fury, and Hulk) and the others undetermined though Evanier gives Carl Hubbell credit for the Cap book and Stan Goldberg did the Millie the Model. Writers are unknown though Denny O'Neil confessed to writing the Cap story. Some of the stories are adventures, some are origin reprises and more than a few pages are just gags. Joke booklets in tiny plastic eggs were the usual faire for Creative House Promotions or C.H.P. and what is known about this outfit today is virtually nil. 


At thirty bucks there is precious little story value here, but I think of it as buying a lava lamp or a peace-sign pendant, just a memento of a bygone age. 

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Amazing stuff Rip, I have never heard of these at all although I can’t imagine why they were released so small. I actually keep forgetting that even here in Scotland Marvel was starting to make in-roads against the then seemingly unassailable popularity of DC and our own UK brand comics. Although Marvel stories were popular and were reprinted in some UK comics in the mid 60s the US editions weren’t easily obtainable and I can’t recall seeing any Marvel merchandise like this but there were quite a few DC items like the DC “Foldees” that were incredibly popular here. I remember buying my best pal at the time (1966) a large Marvel black and white story book for his Christmas which I think was the first time I had seen the FF, by early / mid-1967 Marvel seemed to be everywhere.

    Marvel story book dated 67 but on sale in 1966 (I think)
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/60s-vintage-marvel-story-book-annual-1774447575

    DC Foldees
    https://themagicrobot.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/comic-book-foldees/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the DC "Foldees" I think, though I don't think I've ever had one. That first story book I think I've seen and maybe even handled. There was a story in Louisville that seemed to have a lot of the British stuff back in the 80's. I picked up an oddball bound Captain Britain series from them, the color segments with the Trimpe and Lieber art. It was all I had until Marvel saw fit to reprint them in hardback some years ago. Thanks for sharing those links.

      Marvel was pretty random in the early years of their success, handing out licenses with little thought or little real sense of the value of their product. The infamous Lawrence-Gantray cartoons are an indication of that, though I personally love the wonky things. The idea of "synergy" in licensing sure wasn't much of a concept in comics back then.

      Delete
  2. I was never really a big fan of Captain Britain to be honest for me superheroes belong in the States lol As much as I liked Trimpe’s version and even John Buscema’s short run I much prefeed Alan Moore and Alan Davis’ version of the good Captains strip.

    UK originated comics from the 60s / 70s (in particular) have had a bit of a resurgence recently with the best stuff being collected in nice editions by Rebellion. Not just 2000AD etc but strips like the Steel Claw, Trigan Empire Ken Reid zany black humoured children’s strips etc from the multitude of weekly UK comics that used to be published.

    Steel Claw
    http://britishcomicart.blogspot.com/2010/10/steel-claw.html

    Trigan Empire
    https://www.vaultofculture.com/vault/graphicnovels/triganempire

    Ken Reid (comic book genius)
    http://kazoop.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-wham-easters-of-frankie-stein.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that Trigan Empire stuff is lush. And I find I rather like the Frankie Stein stuff, I think I stumbled across it before. I was really annoyed for many years because I knew that the Black Knight (one of my favorite heroes) had been well represented in the Britain in a comic series for the Marvel UK brand and I was quite pleased to get it at last in those Captain Britain tomes. The Alan Davis take I do have in a few issues of Daredevil which got distribution over here. My favorite Brit strip will pretty much always be V for Vendetta, I haven't come across anything to knock it off the top.

      Delete