Monday, December 24, 2018

The Monkees Christmas Party!


My attitude this holiday season has been one of a confirmed Scrooge as I announced more or less at the beginning of his month. But I must admit that I have been thawing just a wee bit, especially in the last few days since my girls have been in to visit and celebrate the holiday with me. We were out doing some last-minute shopping and I chanced upon The Monkees Christmas Party, a CD featuring new music (mostly) by the band I adored as a boy. This is pure pop bubblegum -- breezy and light-hearted whimsy. Just the kind of music the Monkees produced in the heyday of their TV show.


With a cover by Mike Allred the package is handsome indeed. While most of the music is frothy enough one song entitled "House of Broken Gingerbread" was written by award-winning author Michael Chabon. It's a hoot. This ain't grand music, it ain't even always good, but it is diverting and for this Scrooge, it found a way into my hard flinty heart.

Rip Off

4 comments: