Tuesday, December 25, 2018

MAD Stocking Stuffer!


I have been reintroduced to the irreverent mirth of MAD this past year, since the reboot of the vintage EC series, now part of DC's sprawling collection of publications. This delightful though admittedly somewhat expensive package features some of the classic MAD material by veteran MAD men and new MAD men alike. This is actually a re-issue of a 2017 tome. With art from the likes of Don Martin, Dave Berg, Sergio Aragones, Al Jaffee and Paul Coker it feels like proper MAD to me.


And somehow my mood these days makes me happy that the eternally irreverent mug of Alfred E. Neuman is leering out at one and all this Christmas Day.

Here are few more classic covers.




Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Rip. Unfortunately, the UK edition of Mad ceased publication many years ago, and the US version seems only to be available in comicbook stores, not ordinary newsagents' shops as it once used to be over here. I still have a few issues and Special Editions from over the years, so I must revisit them the next time I'm exploring the confines of my cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAD was once, many years ago, a big part of my reading experience, but I drifted away as the mag shifted. Don Martin's departure was a bit of a breaker for me too, his stuff was the first that I darted to in each and every issue. That's what got me on this one, the chance to again have some choice Martin in a MAD context. The reboot of the series has been a success, at least critically in my eyes, I cannot speak to sales. Hopefully MAD is not destined to become just another memory.

      Rip Off

      Delete