Friday, May 1, 2015

Free Comic Book Day Eve!


I'll have to make a point to get out tomorrow for the 2015 edition of Free Comic Book Day, a most successful promotional idea and one that's lasted longer than I expected frankly.


I'm eager to get hold of the Phantom preview from Hermes and the Captain Canuck book from somewhere in the "Great White North". Both should be quite entertaining. The great Don Newton hopefully will sooner than later get his due.


Usually there's a Fantagraphics offering I'm hankering to get hold of, but sadly this year they are hyping some reality comics about Hip Hop. I'm not a huge fan of Hip Hop and reality comics leave me cold. Previews of this series seem well crafted, but not my cup of tea.


Might try to wrangle a look at the latest effort to revive the Red Circle heroes. How many of these reboots and revivals have there been? I've frankly rather lost track. This newer darker direction looks interesting though, and the Francavilla cover is sweet.


And Bongo can always be counted on to offer up a fun comic which nails the interests of the longtime fanboy. Good clean fun -- that's what Free Comic Book Day is all about.


I am also impressed by this Overstreet Comic Book Marketplace promo with Captain Action on the cover. I usually get one of these as they have at least one little article of value. This is an unusually good Thibert cover. 

To see all that's up for grabs tomorrow check out the official website for the FCBD. 

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. The Phantom one is the only one I'm interested in so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the drive.

    I'm excited about you having Herb Trimpe month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to live relatively close, and I can justify it with other errands if need be. It's lost some of the luster of the early days, but I'm really surprised it has thrived for so long.

      As for Trimpe month, I'm looking forward to it. Expect it not to be all Hulk, but there will be a lot of Hulk. These are my "favorites" after all.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. When I got to the comic shop around 11:30 the Phantom was already gone :(

    But I got all sorts of goodies from the 25 cent comic bin. I'll post about them in the GSBAMB and/or the 80s and 90s MB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the Phantom (it disappointed a bit but hey it was free) but I didn't see a copy of Captain Canuck. I did end up getting the Fantagraphics Hip Hop volume simply because it was such a hefty book and the art was very good.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. The Phantom book was really a bit disappointing. It only had two pages of Newton art underneath that great cover. The bulk of the volume is Aparo and some other guys, some of it from the new Hermes series.

      Rip Off

      Delete