Friday, May 8, 2015

In The Land Of The Inhumans!


There's no denying the raw power of the classic cover for Incredible Hulk King-Size Special #1 by Jim Steranko (with Hulk head adjustments by Marie Severin). It's one of the most iconic images ever produced by Mighty Marvel.


Here's the mighty original in its pure Steranko state. 


But it was not the first cover for this awesome annual adventure. Above is the unused artwork (what's left of it) by Marie Severin and Syd Shores, the art team on the story itself. While not as memorable perhaps as the Steranko image, it's a solid cover nonetheless.


So solid in fact it was actually used by the Australian publisher Newton when they reprinted the story in 1975. It's neat to see the Severin and Shores image get its due in some small measure at least.

Rip Off

9 comments:

  1. Man, I love original art! Thanks for posting the alternate image, as well as the uncorrected Steranko version.

    My copy of the new John Romita Amazing Spider-Man Artifact Edition should be on its way. It contains 200 pages of his work over the span of issues #39-53. I cannot wait!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be careful or I'll drop big dimes on all that stuff and then I'll have nowhere to stash it. The Steranko SHIELD volumes are amazing.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty certain the UK weekly Mighty World Of Marvel used the Severin artwork for a cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, BS, it did - and I'm sure I've got it.

      Delete
    2. I looked guys and the storyline is presented in three comics, but the cover art was always different. Unless it was used on a special or something, I cannot find it in the MWoM gallery at GCD.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    3. I'll check my back issues at some stage and get back to you, Rip. Maybe it was used only as a pin-up inside the comic, but I seem to see it in my mind as a cover as well.

      Delete
    4. MWOM #129, Rip. Although the Inhumans name has been changed to the Inheritor, as that's the story reprinted within.

      Delete
    5. That's the Steranko cover, in fact it's the original art minus Marie Severin's changes to the head. But I thought the question was about this original Severin and Shores cover, that one I cannot find.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    6. Oo-er, you're right, Rip. I misread Severin as Steranko. My bad. The Severin art does look familiar, so it might've been used as a pin-up, if not the cover. Couldn't say what issue 'though.

      Delete