Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Mighty Hercules!


The Mighty Hercules cartoon is a fond memory from my boyhood. These came on at odd times, but they were pretty entertaining. I've wanted a collection for a long time, but never chanced across one until I found a Classic Media dvd with twenty of the one hundred plus cartoons collected, including the debut which is a bit different than the rest. Take a look.


I was struck by familiar names when I read the credits for The Mighty Hercules, specifically George Kashdan and Jack Miller, two stalwart DC writers during the Silver Age. On this debut episode in particular I get a distinct Fleischer Studios Superman vibe indeed. One thing that really recommends these cartoons is the economy of storytelling. These epics were five minutes long, time enough to tell a tale, but not enough to linger. There is an economy to these and a pace which keeps them fresh.

I don't own either of the two Gold Key comic books. I wish I did.



Here is a glimpse at the second issue which it turns out was written by George Kashdan too.

One odd thing my research has turned up is that apparently in Detroit there was a live-action part to the shows when a guy was hired to portray Hercules. Here is more. 

Now I need to watch some more Mighty Hercules cartoons.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. I never realized until watching this video that the highly memorable theme song was sung by none other than Johnny Nash of "I Can See Clearly Now" fame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnifica postagem meu amigo! Parabéns pelo blog, sou do Brasil, e procuro essas HQs do Hercules para download em cbr ou cbz para minha coleção pessoal, tenho milhares de HQs, se precisar, é só me procurar. Abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnifica postagem meu amigo! Parabéns pelo blog, sou do Brasil, e procuro essas HQs do Hercules para download em cbr ou cbz para minha coleção pessoal, tenho milhares de HQs, se precisar, é só me procurar. Abraço.

    ReplyDelete