Friday, April 19, 2013

Alpha And The Letter People!






I was surprised to discover these vintage 1977 comics fro New Dimensions in Education. These comics were likely never for sell, but were part of the Letter People learning program which was so popular in pre-schools and kindergartens once upon a time, and may well still be for all I know.

What prodded my interest, aside from the charming spin on super heroics the covers display is that by all appearances they were done by Wayne Howard, the former Wally Wood worker and Charlton mainstay who was responsible for one of my all-time favorite comic books, Midnight Tales. The last two issues of this run (I could not find a scan of issue number one alas) are signed by Howard and the other covers appear to be his work too. I wonder if these books were produced in the Charlton offices as were other educational materials from the same era, most notably the Popeye career series.  I'd love to find these comic gems somewhere, they are just that offbeat and interesting, truly charming.

Here's a glance at The Letter People in all their color-saturated psychedelic glory. Kookooachu!


Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I have seldom wanted a comic book as badly as I want these now! It's right up there with that Vita-Man & Nutri-Woman comic book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. They look absolutely delightful.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I have been trying to research these comics for a couple years but can't find much. How rare do you think they are? And how valuable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are available at www.letterpeoplemedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have in my possession a few copies of number 5's The Well. My mom kept them from my childhood days. Are they worth anything? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Anabolic Steroids

    ReplyDelete