Friday, April 5, 2013

Carmine Infantino!


I woke to the news that longtime comic artist Carmine Infantino passed away. Carmine had a rep as a somewhat irascible character with specific views on how comics ought to be made and how the history of comics had unfolded. His own role as an artist, editor and publisher in that history is impossible to ignore. I'll leave it to my betters to write up the story of this great artist's life, a good one is found here.


What I most remember about the once publisher of DC Comics is that he created some incredible cover art, in particular those covers he did in tandem with Murphy Anderson. Here are some of my favorite covers by that duo along with some others that came to mind when I was reflecting on the career of the late great Carmine Infantino.













I've been attracted to this particular Showcase volume, which tells the last great saga of Barry Allen in those long ago pre-Crisis days. 


I had a few issues at the time, but never really followed the story through. I do know that this is in many ways the last great epic by Carmine Infantino who drew with a gusto in his later career that put off many fans, but which I found full of energy and verve. I need to go to the local shop today and snatch up a copy. This weekend would be a great time to read this final classic Flash story by the Flash's greatest artist.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Those last 20-odd issues of Flash were the first superhero comics I remember collecting. I loved and still love Infantino's late-period art. And no one could hold a candle to him when it comes to cover design.

    He made Flash my favorite D.C. super hero. No one could convey speed quite like Infantino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree with that. The blur of speed, the sense of movement was unmatched. His abstract of how to communicate it was ideal.

      Glad to hear someone loves later Infantino. He got so much flak at the time it was painful to read. Lots of folks get agitated when their faves move on in style. I do too sometimes I guess.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. one positive about that is that it makes it easier for me to collect his later stuff. I got all the Dial H issues of Adventure for almost nothing.

      Same can be said of Kirby...

      Delete