Sunday, April 28, 2013

An Apocalyptic Announcement!


It was with great pleasure that I read that Philip Jose Farmer's breathtaking "biography" of The Man of Bronze, the one and only Doc Savage will be reprinted this summer. Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life will first be a deluxe volume from Meteor House followed by a trade edition from Altus Press, the same folks who have been putting out the new Doc Savage adventures.


I first stumbled across this book, completely unaware of the conceit of Farmer's Wold-Newton universe back in the 70's. A copy of the Bantam edition of the book enthralled me, opening up the pulp universe in a peculiar but effective way. I still have and cherish that copy. At the time I knew precious little about The Man of Bronze. Nowadays, having read most of his adventures thanks to the great reprints from Anthony Tollin's Sanctum Books, I can enjoy this tome with new insights.


It will make a grand companion to the original Tarzan Alive "biography" currently available by Bison Books from University of Nebraska Press.


 A toast is indeed in order.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life
    Bantam Paperback I purchased in the 70's
    Just opened up the Fantastic World of Clark Savage Jr. for me
    I was interested in what this Hero was about
    This book just showed me what I'd been missing
    Never Looked Back

    Now Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life
    Is almost as old as the History of Adventures it describes!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Apocalyptic Life for all its weirdness was my window into Doc lore for a great many years. I'm eager to give it another read after all these decades.

      Rip Off

      Delete