Friday, September 17, 2010

Top Of The Heath!





I might get the chance to meet Russ Heath this weekend when he appears at the first Cincinnati Comic Expo. I'm rather excited to be honest.

Russ Heath was one of those artists who really made an impact on my still-forming brain when I got my grubby mitts on some lush copies of G.I.Combat featuring The Haunted Tank stories. These remain perhaps my favorite comics war stories, the hint of the supernatural adding just the right spice to the mileau.

But mostly it was the artwork of Russ Heath, art that was evocative and similar to the more ubiquitous Joe Kubert, but had a refined edge that Kubert's powerful lines could at times lack. I've grown to appreciate the savage style of Kubert in my later years, and liked it even then, but it was Heath who really impressed me back then.

Whenever I stumbled across one of his stories in a Warren magazine, or the offbeat Atlas-Seaboard comic it was cause for rejoicing.

But it's those early covers with the Jeb Stuart and the boys that still haunt my imagination. That Attila cover is in my top ten all time favorite covers. Wow!

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Did you see the "Punisher" issues he drew? Some of the best-looking tales to feature the character, save for the ones drawn by John Buscema or the one Tony DeZuniga did for the "Marvel Preview" magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have most all the early Punisher comics, so I'm sure I do. I've seen Heath do some great crime stories. His realistic style lends itself to gritty stuff.

    Oh and I agree DeZuniga did arguably the most compelling Frank Castle. The glare in the eyes was ideal.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete