Saturday, September 18, 2010

A-1 Anderson!












Here is a gallery of some of my favorite Murphy Anderson covers. I first found Anderson as an inker, and still think that is his first great talent. As a penciller he was smooth and efficient, but alas his pages had a somewhat static quality. The storytelling was impeccable, but there was an energy missing sometimes.

But mix him with a dynamic penciller like Carmine Infantino and some of the most iconic covers in comic book lore were created. Anderson gave Infantino's powerful layouts a creamy finish that vaulted them off the slick covers. They were a great team producing many great covers including my favorite Flash cover, the one seen above.

But the teaming I most relish is known by one name -- "Swanderson". When Curt Swan, the longtime and sturdy penciller for Superman was mated with Murphy Anderson the synthesis was something greater than the whole. This was a pairing on par with Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott. The lush line of Anderson over Swan's perfect pencils brought a new vigor to Metropolis and at the time made Superman seem modern and fresh.

I hope I get a chance to meet the great Murphy Anderson today, as well as Russ Heath today at the Cincinnati Comic Expo.

Outstanding stuff!

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the expo. Even though it's right here in town, I had to decide to pass. I'd have felt guilty going and knowing I still had unpaid bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. My wife had some unexpected dental work this week and that sapped the budget mightily. But fortunately I had just enough to make this trip happen, but I had to be very strict on the budget.

    Collecting is so much fun, but one always has to be careful. It's really hard.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete