Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Debating The Watchmen!


What exactly is the controversy with DC Comics using The Watchmen as an element of a reborn-rebooted-revised-rehashed DC Universe. If you don't appreciate the "purity" of The Watchmen franchise being sullied by association with mere superheroes, then okay. Get mad, don't buy any of those issues and re-read the original story yet again and savor an excellent bit of storytelling. But why the outrage?


Many seem to suggest it's immoral for DC to use these characters as they desire. I'm not aware they need the permission of the creators to do with these characters as they desire, they own them, but they have been gracious in the past and asked both Moore and Gibbons to weigh in on any future plans. The characters have proven to be successful, so it's obvious why DC wants to market them, it's the nature of business. From what I can gather DC has lived up to their side of the bargain struck many decades ago with Moore and Gibbons. That the deal didn't work out exactly like Moore anticipated is not DC's fault. The flaw in Moore's reasoning is that The Watchmen proved to be more successful than anticipated. Shucks what a problem to have since Moore gets a cut of all sales.


Let me be clear. Comic book creators in the past have been royally screwed by comic book companies and famously so. Characters worth millions if not billions have been harvested and their creators have gotten little if any recompense for their dutiful and diligent effort. Companies screw people all the damn time, it's one of the more repulsive aspects to the celebrated capitalism everyone gets giddy about when the stock market tickers start buzzing. Winners and losers, part of the great game, and at least part of the target of the story told by Moore and Gibbons in their remarkable adventure.


But that said, Moore and Gibbons are not among those creators who have been screwed. They were lucky enough to come along when contracts were more fair if not ideal and they have reaped significant profit from their efforts, and Moore could've have gotten much more if he'd been more agreeable to what plans the publisher might've had. He's entitled to believe what he wants, but no one can say he's been screwed out of any money. And it's rich that folks suggest Moore of all creators is a victim of this kind of pilfering since he's made a sizeable portion of his post-Watchmen career scraping out the enormous bins of the public domain and using characters and situations originally developed by such giants as Verne, Rohmer, Baum, Stevenson, Dickens, Wells, Haggard, among countless others. I don't condemn him for these borrowings, I just find it rich that he is put up as a victim when he's a pilferer just like so many of us can be.


Now DC has incorporated The Watchmen into the broader DCU. So what? Why is everyone outraged? God, people get over it already. DC wants to sell comics and they've been rather poor at it in recent years despite making every effort to entice folks to drop five bucks for a slender slick and quickly consumed comic (could that be the problem). If they want to forestall their inevitable doom by using all the tools they have then so be it. There's nothing in the arrangement with Moore and Gibbons that suggests they cannot do it that I'm aware of.


So folks might think it's a bankrupt move creatively, but I cannot for the life of me get why folks think it's immoral. The Watchmen were hatched on the bones of characters from Charlton and elsewhere. Steve Ditko, Pete Morisi, Pat Boyette, Jim Aparo, and Joe Gill get no cut of the profits when characters clearly inspired by their stories featuring Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Nightshade, Thunderbolt, and the Question. Gibbons and Moore cobbled "new" heroes on the heap of the classics and made a damn fine comic. Great! They cut a dandy deal with DC for a piece of the action. Fantastic! Where's the particular and distinctive immorality on DC's part here?

Help me to understand.

More Watchmen tomorrow. 

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting stuff Rip alas this is all pretty new to me. Although I was aware of some of the issues around the Watchmen ( via fanzines) I wasn't really buying / reading new comics in 1986/7 ( I was more likely to pick up Cerebus or Love and Rockets etc) so I missed this. I did read the graphic novel long after it was published and my abiding memory of the story was finding out the Tulsa massacre wasn't a comic book story vehicle, but that it really happened . That was immoral not this.

    Although I personally felt that Moore/Gibbons version of the old Charlton characters bore little resemblance to the original source material, there was enough there to link them to Cap Atom etc and the original creators, or their estate should have been rewarded.

    I did read about Moores distain for the HBO series, he didn't hold back on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only his disdain had been for the selected HBO series, which I can understand, I'd be more inclined to validate his opinion. But he pushes aside all exploitation of the characters, and he doesn't even allow his name to appear. HIs choice of course, but it seems an odd choice since he's not averse in the least to scooping up other characters and using them as he wishes.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it simply down to a loophole in his and Dave Gibbons contract that means ownership of the characters won't revert to the creators as long as DC keep the book and characters in print. He was wanting this as a one off event. Not sure if that's the core of the reasoning and by reverting to creators he means Ditko etc or him. I like Moores comics but I feel he likes to be a "social warrior" ( in the old sense) for his image

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the situation. Watchmen is a problem because it has proven successful and DC sees value in keeping it available. I saw an interview recently in which Moore gave short shrift to all his comic work and seemed to think comics were not living up to their possibilities. It seems to me that a lot of clever experimentation has been going on in comics, so I don't follow that argument exactly. Maybe he just doesn't like comics anymore.

      Delete
  3. Agreed on all points. Moore's whole take on his contract with DC seems to be that they should have let WATCHMEN go out of print because that's what happened with the majority of DC graphic novels up to that point in time. And yet, if that's what he wanted, he and Gibbons should have turned out something that was merely adequate. Instead, they produced a super-ambitious graphic novel-- and then, Moore is surprised that DC wants to exercise their contractual rights and keep making money off the work? I assume he also granted them standard film-rights, and he probably makes some dough every time a Moore property is adapted.

    It all comes down to the basic moral position: if you don't like a contract and neither you nor your family-members are facing imminent catastrophe-- DON'T SIGN THE CONTRACT! To the best of my knowledge, before WATCHMEN Moore was making regular sales to DC, and he probably could have sold to Marvel, though I don't know that he ever submitted there. He wasn't by any means fighting to keep the wolf from the door, though most industries have a history of exploiting those who are. If he and Gibbons had really wanted to be SURE they held exclusive rights on WATCHMEN, they almost certainly could have found a publisher who would have taken the project-- though maybe another publisher couldn't have paid DC's page rates and certainly would not have had access to DC's publicity resources.

    I think both Moore and Gibbons knew they'd come up with something special, and they wanted the work to be published with DC to take advantage of those resources. They just didn't know that WATCHMEN was also going to be much more profitable than the average GN of the time. I don't get the sense that Gibbons cares that much, because he likes making that DC money. But Moore wants to pretend he's above that-- though he let the 1963 project lapse because he Moore was chasing that Big Image Money in books like SPAWN.

    I've thought about a piece about how Moore thinks it's OK to "steal" frum authors as long as they're dead or have been suborned by publishers. Once he's dead, will he throw open all rights to everything he fully owns? Or will he use the legal system to preserve the value of any such properties for either family members or for causes he supports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with pretty much all of that. The only very slight hesitation I have is that at the time of the Watchmen, comics were still on the cusp of treating talent like totally disposable workers. Things were changing, and I'm sure Moore wishes he'd lobbied for a contract more to his liking, but the truth this project made all his future contracts much easier to get, and pretty much on his terms. DC took a chance on him and both he and the company did quite well.

      Delete