Few names in popular fiction are more famous than Sherlock Holmes. The character originally created and delivered to the world by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in fifty-six short stories and four novels became a fabulous hit and was soon adapted to the stage and to film beginning with many silents and right on through to the modern day when new Holmes projects show up every year. Charlton Comics tried to capture a little of that Holmes magic in two issues of a comic series. The first issue you can read at this link.
The second of the two Sherlock Holmes comics can be read at this link.
I bring up Sherlock Holmes because I've just completed re-reading the stories, this time not in the order of their publication which has been my norm, but rather in the chronological order as they fall in the life and career of the great detective. This biographical approach is developed by William S. Baring-Gould who assembled The Annotated Sherlock Holmes. I've had these two volumes in my collection for nearly sixty years and have only used them as reference from time to time. This reading though, I marched through the two hefty tomes.
I was assisted as well by Baring-Gould's "biography" of Sherlock Holmes titled Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street. The author uses the copious details contained in the stories along with a healthy dose of imagination to organize the great detective's "life" into a proper story from his childhood until his death in 1957. In addition to his many conflicts with notable villains such as Professor Moriarty, Sebastian Moran, and others we discover that Holmes also helped to solve the Jack the Ripper murders and searched for the Yeti in the distant Himalayas. It's all great fun, and it's always nice to revisit Baker Street from time to time.
Rip Off




No comments:
Post a Comment