Thursday, August 1, 2024

Augustus!


Let the espionage begin! This month will focus on some secret agent comics from Marvel such as the famous Nick Fury seen above leading his hearty Agents of SHIELD into battle as rendered by master Jim Steranko. I will look at the SHIELD years both before and during the Steranko reign. I'll also be looking specifically at how Steranko came to be the transformative artist he became on the SHIELD series as well as some later work he created for Marvel. 


The Six Million Dollar Man was a highly successful 70's television show which pitted the All-American cyborg Steve Austin against a varied range of threats to the homeland. Charlton had the license and produced some handy comics back in the day and more recently from Dynamite, but my focus will be on the TV show and its spin-off The Bionic Woman, which also got both the Charlton and Dynamite treatments. My focus will be on the shows themselves with perhaps a glimpse or three of the comics. 


But for the biggest focus this month, I'm reaching back into the most ancient coffers of the Dojo and dusting off some of my earliest work, creating revised reviews of Charlton's The Fightin' Five. Look for detailed looks at all the missions of these men who only ever sought to save the world. These reviews will feature work by the likes of Rocke Mastroserio, Ernie Bache, Bill Montes and Joe Gill among others. These are some pretty fascinating comic-book stories and well worth a month to look at again. 



And you never know what might pop up during the month in addition. All these men and women fought to make the world safer. We do that today with crucial political elections seemingly around every corner. We must be as stalwart as our heroes, and we must win the day as they did. 

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. You had me at Steranko and SHIELD!

    And is that a promise of The Prisoner? A series that's all the more urgent & relevant today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be the briefest of visits to "The Village". I've thought of digging it out for another viewing.

      Delete
  2. I think it's time for me, too. I wonder what Patrick McGoohan would make of the current digital world, smartphones, cameras recording everything everywhere, AI, facial recognition technology, etc.? (I suspect we can easily guess.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a world we once dreaded. It came to us slowly, bit by bit and offered so many opportunities. This blog it one that I enjoy.

      Delete