Monday, August 7, 2023

Not Quite New Gods!


This character is named Ramses (or "Black Ramses"). Fashioned at the same time that Kirby was creating his New Gods and inked by Don Heck, this particular design never made the cut, but I've always wanted to see more of this fascinating character.  Kurt Busiek used him in some Kirby-inspired work some years ago, but I don't have much recollection of those.


This rather dramatic piece of art is dubbed "Robot Defender" and was among the early designs for the New Gods, though to my mind it has never been incorporated. Pretty fantastic looking I think. The inking on these things is often called into dispute, but I'm guessing Don Heck on this one. What is he? What's his purpose? We'll never know.


The character above, created by Jack Kirby, is called Space Guardian. It's a design I've always liked, though it is a bit vanilla by Kirby standards.


Perhaps due to the color scheme, I've always associated that drawing with this one dubbed Enchantra (maybe). Together they've got some juice!


Don't know any name for this smiling chap. 

But alas these characters never had the right stuff to show up on New Genesis. Perhaps with time, we might have met them. 

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that last one the 'Coal Tiger', Jack's first presentation of what became the Black Panther?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same pose. I thought the same thing but didn't find any details on the image.

      Delete