Tuesday, August 8, 2023

In The Beginning!


This gorgeous splash page from Jack "King" Kirby's favorite comic book story "The Pact" from the pages of New Gods #7 has special resonance for me now that my own idyllic time with my beloved wife Lizzie is a sweet memory. These exquisite moments are to be treasured for what they are as they will only be for that tender time. 


Knowing that this tender moment above is about to be demolished by the violence of the world, I now feel more deeply the despair which can follow such violations.


Here's that same scrumptious image in its raw pencil form from the hand of the master for what he has repeatedly said was his own favorite story of all time. 

Rip Off

7 comments:

  1. This was the first issue of the Fourth World comics that I ever read, and it remains one of the best comics stories that I ever read. I had just graduated from high school & hadn't read a comic for 4-5 years, and this was my re-introduction to them. Mister Miracle #7 was the next one I read—the one-two punch of my (then) young comics-reading life!

    And my thoughts are with you for your personal loss. As my wife & I inevitably grow older, we realize all the more how fleeting & precious every moment together really is. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I'm with you that this is one of the best comic books ever produced full stop. It's magnificent in its operatic scale.

      Delete
  2. He did sometimes say that it was his favourite story, but at other times he said other stories were his favourite so he wasn't entirely consistent on the matter. I'm bound to say that Izaya's legs are very badly drawn and unnaturally folded. I just wish that Kirby had paid attention to such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably his stories were like his children. You can have many favorites, depending on the day.

      Delete
    2. I suppose it's possible that when he said it was his favourite, he was responding to the question of which was his favourite New Gods story.

      Delete
  3. Sadly I havent read this one (although it's in the New God's collected edition that I have in the loft) but any story that can rekindle memories of a loved one has got to be good. I will now put time aside to read this one. Nice splash page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exceedingly happy to inspire you to dig this one out. It's a highlight.

      Delete