Thursday, August 26, 2021

Dojo Classics - Showcase One Hundred!

Joe Staton and Dick Giordano

One of my favorite artists is the magnificent Joe Staton. Joe rumbled around the comic book universe in the early 70's trying to latch on and made his mark first at Charlton with E-Man and other projects. He came over to DC and made quite the splash on titles like All-Star Comics (Justice Society of America), Adventure Comics (Plastic Man), and Green Lantern among others. One of his most memorable early efforts is the exotic and wildly entertaining Showcase #100, a book which teamed up nearly every character who had appeared in those varied pages.


Here are Joe's pencils for that remarkable cover which stood out in a time before the Crisis on Infinite Earths and other projects which rallied countless characters time after time. Love this drawing of Creeper, Aquaman, Atom, Flash, Green Lantern, Lois Lane, Metal Men, Space Ranger, Adam Strange, Spectre, Dove and Hawk, and many others.


And here's an ad for that most special comic book written by Paul Kupperberg and Paul Levitz, one I cherish to this day, a day in which comic books rarely last long enough to see one hundred issues anymore.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. This is another comic I have and have owned since it first came out. I'm beginning to think you have access to my comics collection, RJ, as you feature so many that I actually have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such prescience on my part! I just have had a lot of dang comics in my long life it seems.

      Delete
  2. This was a fun read, though I haven't looked at it for a long time. The thing I remember best is how Lois Lane and Angel O'Day save the, uh, "day" in very different ways: Lois being a kick-ass babe while Angel just blunders into success.

    So, since you say they didn't quite get in all of the Showcase characters, I'm sure they couldn't have worked in James Bond, though they could've done a Bond-clone just for fun. Were there others? I also remember how Fireman Frarrell got like a single panel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun story and not one that's been reprinted ever as far as I can discover.

      Delete