Monday, February 1, 2021

Duck, Duck, Moose!


Man that went fast! I don't know about the rest of you, but for me the month of January rocketed by. It was no doubt due to the fact we focused on the specific date of January 20th when the United States could once again hold up its head and present a leader to world who didn't cover us in shame with his boorish utterances. But whatever the case we are now in the merry old land of February and winter has only a few months to work its will. 


One focus this month will be on Marvel's sarcastic waterfowl, the notorious and  immortal Howard the Duck. It's been many a moon since I last savored Howard's antics in our all-too human world, and I'm looking forward to diving into the feather-raising misadventure and bristling satire all over again. Steve Gerber along with artists Frank Brunner, Val Mayerik, Gene Colan, and John Buscema among others, struck gold with this one for sure. Look for these on Saturdays this month. 


And speaking of satire, I'm also going to try and read some classic comics featuring the television duo Rocky and Bullwinkle from Dell and later Gold Key. I might well give some of my favorites of the Jay Ward cartoons another glance as well. They never seem to get rusty. Look for updates on what I'm calling "Frostbite Fridays". 


"The Sunday Funnies" will continue with new entries for Hal Foster's Prince Valiant and E.C. Segar's Popeye. Prince Valiant enters the fabulous 50's as a husband and father, and Popeye will confront the heinous Sea Hag among other things. 


Also continuing this month will be the revisits of those awesome "Crisis"-averting encounters of the heroes from Earth-1 and Earth-2 and Earths beyond from the boys at DC. It's been a very long time since I read these stories and getting myself familiar has been a load of fun. 

If time there might be other surprises. 

Rip Off 

No comments:

Post a Comment