Friday, March 1, 2024

Martii!


This is going to be a full and varied month at the Dojo. As you can tell the Silver Surfer will be making his presence known, but you'll have to wait until the end of the month for my full review of Norrin Radd's earliest misadventures. I haven't read a new Surfer story in ages, but back in the heyday he was one of Marvel's richest characters. 


The ongoing look at the adventures of the Ghost Who Walks will also continue. I am reviewing his Charlton comics appearances as well as the Avon novel series. Both were reprinted by Hermes Press some years ago and have been languishing waiting for me to get to them. I am enjoying it mightily. 


Likewise, my ongoing reading of the OZ novels by Frank L. Baum. I will assert here and now that the books are not what I was expecting. I've read raves about these American classics all my life and I'm beginning to get a sense of what everyone is on about. 


I'm going to squeeze in at least one trip to Astro City this month as well. These books have been fantastic to read again, making so much more sense than reading them periodically. There is a richness in the world imagined by Busiek and Anderson and Ross which is greater than the sum of its many well-crafted parts. 


Crime will rear its ugly head as well here as we take a spin down the Road to Perdition, the amazing graphic novel by Max Allan Collins. There are more than a few twists and turns in that odyssey for the characters and the readers as well. 


Neal Adams was arguably the most influential artist of his generation or for that matter a few generations since his influence as a mentor and the studio Continuity Associates was a breeding ground for many younger pros. He created some of the most iconic comics in my reading experience and I'd like to take a look at some of those over the course of this year. This month the focus is on Deadman. 


And I want to spend a little time with the Abominable Snowman. Admittedly I want to do that from the comfort and relative safety of my easy chair in my warm and comfy home, but nonetheless the legend of the ABSM as he's designated is as alluring as any in the modern world. 




All this and perhaps even more this month at the Dojo. Take a moment or two and drop by amigos. 

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment