Monday, May 1, 2023

Moon-Eyed!


"Moon-Eyed" means to have one's eyes wide open. I sometimes look at the full Moon and ponder how many more will I be lucky to see. The truth of mortality opens all eyes.  We never know how many any of us have really. 

Six years have passed since I lost my Lizzie -- my wife, the woman I've spent most of my lifetime with, and the woman who was the mother of our two delightful, lovely and admirable daughters. I lost her sooner than I expected, quicker than seemed possible. But now six years after, the wounds have begun to close over slightly. Nonetheless I will never betray the memory of the woman I loved, and the woman I still love. 


My wife is no longer here for me to talk to and to laugh with and to take care of. And she's no longer here to help take care of me as I become more and more an old man. I step into the unknown without her wisdom and guidance and support. 

She had a little dog named "Bo" and just a few weeks ago I had to put him down, the years having robbed him of his sight and health. He was a connection to my beloved, and while he wasn't a lovable dog necessarily, I will miss him for what he meant to her. 


The Dojo has taken a brief hiatus around this time in years past, and so too this year in loving memory of my beloved Lizzie. Normal activity (more or less) will resume in a fortnight or thereabouts. 

Be well my friends and cherish the ones you have -- they are not yours to keep for all time.

Dean

5 comments:

  1. A heartfelt memory. I can't imagine losing my wife (we always laughingly say we'll have to go together!). Never used to think of these things when I was younger, but now the inevitable is closer and more palpable. It's rather frightening, even with a firm perspective on spirituality and the nature of being. Take some deserved time off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I will and back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always hurts when those connection to someone extra special go, but your memories of your wife will always remain fresh with you. Enjoy those little smiles remembering some of those loving seemingly everyday things that now mean the world . Take care Rip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the years tumble by, the hurt diminishes, and the memories of the joys dominate. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete