Sunday, April 3, 2016

Kirby Esquire!



These are some exceedingly nifty illustrations by the late great Jack "King" Kirby of Marvel's cast in the mid 60's. Done for Esquire magazine these distinctive little images were some of the things which began to grind Kirby's gears a bit as his art in locations like this, promoting the company wasn't reaping the pecuniary benefit he felt it deserved.



Many of these poses are familiar to me not because I ever saw this article at the time, but because they were used time and again in different bits of promotion from Marvel.



Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I wonder how much detail the following page(s) tackled the topic of Marvel influence on modern literature. The title and subtitle make it seem like there would be some in depth analysis. I've never seen this Esquire article before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I stumbled across it and thought it pretty neat.

      Rip Off

      Delete