Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cap Goes Wild!


This is ferociously action-filled in-your-face poster from Marvelmania International featuring the artwork of Jack "King" Kirby and "Fearless" Frank Giacoia was part of the initial 1969 membership kit from the short-lived fan club operation. The lettering is by "Swingin" Sam Rosen.


I never owned this poster sadly, but I well remember the image from this ad which appeared in many a Marvel Comic of the time.


The poster of course was re-used artwork from the cover of 1968's Captain America #106. The story pitted Cap against an evil Communist LMD of himself. Here's a link with the details.


And just for fun here's that same artwork flipped for use as the cover of Marvel Super Action #8 a decade later in 1978. You'll note that Cap is no longer "Wild", but merely "Mad".

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. I had the poster on my bedroom closet door for two decades! It was torn and faded by the time I finally took it down and it tore worse at that point and had to be thrown out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you that. The only poster like that I still have is the one you got when DC had its clubs briefly in the late 70's, a great image by Jose Garcia-Lopez showcasing lots of DC stars of the day. These are all cherished items one and all, but to use them as they ought, they suffer damage for sure. I have a Kirby image of Cap from Monster Times I think, which has been torn more than once, but it's still a keeper.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Marvelmania...it didn't last long but I wrote to a guy whose address I found inventor magazine and we remained best friends until his death about 6-7 years ago. So for that, the club was worthwhile to me.

    ReplyDelete