Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Savage Posts Of Kung Fu!


Whew! October was a lot of fun. The run up to Halloween was fantastic but after a full month of a new lengthy daily posts I need some rest. And to top it all off amigos, I'm still recovering from Covid-19 which I contracted toward the end of the month which threw me for a bit of a loop.  Suffice it to say I need to sit back a wee bit. So, it was good that I had this planned all along. Alongside the horror wave which struck comics in the early 70's there was another fad which broke loose during that tumultuous decade - Kung Fu. And this month I want to take a look at some of those mighty martial arts comics produced during the decade such Marvel's Master of Kung Fu and Iron Fist, among others. At DC there was Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter. Many of these throat-punching comics have collected in recent times making an amble down that street-fightin' lane easy. 



Marvel has recently found it possible to finally reprint Master of Kung Fu. The series was blocked for many years due to rights concerns over Shang-Chi's daddy Fu Manchu, a character Marvel no longer held the rights to. But they have come out with them and I'll be reading the two Epic collections. 


And while it does not fall into the martial arts category is a classic espionage series, I also want to revisit Jim Steranko's classic Yellow Claw stories from the pages of Strange Tales. Yellow Claw was Marvel's top "Yellow Peril" baddie before they got the rights to the most infamous "Devil Doctor" for a time. 


Then there is Iron Fist, Marvel's home-grown martial artist created in the same vein as Bill Everett's Golden Age hero Amazing Man, but this time with a decided Kung Fu flair. I'll be looking at Danny Rand's earliest escapades. 


And those adventures were not limited to the Marvel Premiere and the self-titled Iron Fist comic. Iron Fist also had many a bout in the black and white pages of The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. Shang Chi is there as well as the Sons of the Tiger and White Tiger. 


On the DC side of things is Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter, a character created by Denny O'Neil for novels but then adapted to comics. I've only read a handful of Dragon's adventures over the decades so much of this will be brand new to me. 


Frank Miller was a comic book comet of a talent when he produced Ronin for DC. This is a story set in feudal Japan and was well outside the mainstream of what passed for comic books of its time. I've never really given Ronin the attention it deserved but I hope to rectify that oversight. 


And this seems an apt opportunity to read yet again the wonderful Manhunter series by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson. The years have only increased my estimation of this classic. I've commented on this series many times here and might not have space to do so again. 


If I can get my Blu-Ray player up and running, (I might need a new one) I am looking forward to diving into the Criterion Bruce Lee collection which gathers up his five most famous films -- The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, The Way of the Dragon, and Enter the Dragon from 1971-1973 plus the posthumous flick Game of Death from 1978.  Two of these I've never seen before. 



The overwhelming majority of the month though will be dedicated to reaching back into the furthest reaches of the Dojo and taking some of my earliest posts and dusting them off and revising them when necessary for fresh presentation. When I began this blog, its focus was Charlton Comics, because frankly that's where my focus at the time. Over the years the blog has moved away from that and incorporated more Marvel, DC, Gold Key, and other comics material. The blog has even shifted and looked non-comics stuff like films and novels. But for this month expect a double dose of Charlton as the Dojo will live up to its name and give you both Judomaster and Thunderbolt, the two martial arts comics that in many ways ignited the genre. These comics by Frank McLaughlin and Pete Morisi respectively are remarkable in many respects. 


So be wary but do enjoy the flips and counters you'll find this month as the Dojo lives up to its name. 

Rip Off

13 comments:

  1. On I didn't realise Marvel had reprinted the MoKF strips, I absolutely loved these when they were reprinted in the UK Avengers comic especially Gulacy's work. I think I may have found my Christmas present to myself. Lots of things I am
    !ooking forward to here including SHIELD, Manhumter, Iron First and ( from memory) the underrated Richard Dragon. Anyway the Halloween posts fun thank you but more importantly I hope you are feeling better after your bout of COVID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm recovering quite well. I'm fully vaccinated and they have a drug protocol now for the thing if you act early. So it's not like it was in those early scary days when all you could do was isolate and hope for the best. I'm already impressed with my reading, seeing Paul Gulacy become the artist we all admire.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you did, McS, because you commented twice when I featured the first reprint volume back in 2019. Your memory's getting worse.

      Delete
    3. Really doesn't ring a bell Kid. Then again I seem to recall other things happened in 2019 lol

      Delete
  2. Like you I'm no fan of Donald Trump but his description of Covid 19 as "Kung Flu" was quite funny. So far I've never had Covid but I've received 3 vaccine injections and I'm due for a fourth on Thursday (November 3rd).
    Marvel re-launched Shang Chi in 2020 but the new version looks very different from the '70s classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about three months of relative immunity since I'm recovering, then they will let me have my fourth injection. The Shang-Chi movie was okay, perfectly entertaining but was a bit too ripe with fantasy. I yearned for more of a gutsy martial arts action flick.

      Delete
    2. I meant that Marvel re-launched Shang-Chi as a comic book. I haven't seen the film version.

      Delete
    3. I have not seen the new comic. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Comics are always the best medicine. All through my childhood they were there for me if I got sick, better than TV, better than 'tussin. Enjoy the enforced leisure and enjoy comics therapy.

    Might I also request a little Sanho Kim in your Martial Arts Revue? House of Yang, Wrong Country (in Bull's Eye) and his independent Sword's Edge were all favorites of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a good look at Yang a few years ago. Check this link.

      https://ripjaggerdojo.blogspot.com/search/label/Yang

      Delete
    2. I've got the first reprint collection of Master Of Kung Fu so I'll have to see about picking up the second volume. I always felt that Marvel could have substituted The Yellow Claw as Shang Chi's father to enable them to reprint the series, if they no longer had the rights to Fu Manchu. Get well soon.

      McS, see my reply to your comment further up.

      Delete
    3. I'll have something to say about Yellow Claw. Feeling much better, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Rip - I did a short blog entry over at https://superstuff73.blogspot.com/2022/12/look-in-jumps-on-kung-fu-bandwagon.html on the Kung Fu strip that appeared in UK teen magazine Look-In back in 1974. I've added a link from that article to your blog in case readers want to really do a Kung Fu deep-dive. Hope this is okay.

    Is the Criterion Bruce Lee collection worth getting on blu-ray? I remember seeing Fist of Fury back in '74 and even over a distance of 48 years I remember the print was atrocious.

    ReplyDelete