Friday, March 18, 2022

We Spoke Out - Holocaust!


Joe Kubert is a master of the comic book form. I didn't really begin to appreciate the genius of Kubert when I started into comics as a mere lad because of two things, I was a Marvel fan and I didn't necessarily follow the war comics. Kubert was a DC artist who drew mostly war  adventures of Enemy Ace and Sgt. Rock and many more. 


I fell in love with Kubert when he tackled Tarzan of the Apes when DC acquired the license from ERB folks after Gold Key's long tenure. There was a ruggedness and raw energy to this Tarzan I'd not seen before and I fell head over heels in love with it and with Kubert's art itself. I began to seek it out and often smiled when I found it. I did not smile when I discoverd "Holocaust". 


Rarely has Kubert drawn images with more raw power than the two above. Sequestered inside Sgt. Rock #351 this drawing shows the horror of the death camps in stark four colors. The nakedness of the tragic Jews being led to a factory of murder is heart breaking, but it's the stark reality of the Holocaust. Evil men did evil things to innocent people and all too many stood by for too long before it was stopped. The evil is still among alas. 


Note: This post originally appeared at Rip Jagger's Other Dojo

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment