Tuesday, March 15, 2022

We Spoke Out - The Duty Of A Man!


War is Hell from Marvel is a damn weird and offbeat book. Marvel put out an avalanche of reprints in the early Bronze Age and I loved them, since they were all new to me, but then they started using these mags to debut new features such as Thongor of Lemuria, Morbius the Living Vampire, and Man-Wolf. In this war comic reprint title, we get the misadventures of a dead soldier named John Kowalski who is returned to life, time and again to take part in some critical aspect of World War II.


Under an exciting Gil Kane cover, story artist George Evans tries to make sense of what I consider an overwritten Chris Claremont script. I found I didn't really know what was happening all the time as I read this story, though it's clear that Kowalski, who is resurrected this time as a German soldier, does his best to save Jews being delivered to the slaughter. There are echoes of the real-life events when thousands of Danish Jews were saved by a flotilla of fishing boats that sneaked them across German lines into Sweden. Wanted to like this one more as I like Evans, but it wore me out a bit. 


Note: This post originally appeared at Rip Jagger's Other Dojo

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment