Sunday, November 14, 2010

Smokey Meets The Mountie!


I was at the local Cracker Barrel eatery the other day and prowling through their spinner rack of dvds I found The Best of Dudley Do-Right from the riotous Jay Ward studio. I've been wanting this one since I have most of the other Rocky and Bullwinkle stuff, so I snagged it for a mere three and a half bucks. I got it home and lensed it immediately. And now I know the saga of Stokey the Bear. That's right I said "Stokey".

Check it out for yourself.



That's the third Dudley cartoon, and it was banned from airplay after its first run because our national government objected to the lampooning of their quasi-fictional mascot Smokey the Bear.


Like all great satire, you know you've done it correctly when the powerful you afflict want to ban your material. This is a great send up, no pun intended, of a classic American icon. I adore the omnipresent addled leer on Stokey's face throughout the cartoon.

And now for something completely different.

Actually not completely different, but similar only in subject. Here is a Dudley Do-Right comic book cover gallery featuring art by Mort Walker assistant Frank Johnson. I sadly own only a couple of these Charlton treasures.








Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment