Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mike Esposito RIP


It's sad news I discovered today. Mike Esposito, longtime inker and partner with Ross Andru passed away a few days ago. Esposito's inks were of the "scratchy" kind, the type that seem to be out of favor with fanboys back in the Bronze Age. But I always liked the effect his inks had on pencillers and especially when he and Andru hooked up. The Flash issues they drew were my entree into DC comics and remain among my very favorite comics.


Rest in peace Mr. Esposito.

Here's more on his passing and his career.

My First Flash Comic

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. Very sad news. Thanks for letting us know - I love that flash cover as a tribute. I always thought a great deal of his inks as well, very much his own style, very easy on the eyes. Old school, and very classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He and Andru were totally awesome. I never found his work as good on anyone else as it was with the Mighty Ross. But as "Mickey Demeo" he was an important player in early Marvel and then later under his own name a mainstay for some classic Bronze Age material. Pro all the way!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was my first issue of The Flash as well -- in fact, I wrote about it here. I felt saddened in a general, appreciative sense when I heard the news about Esposito...but this makes me realize he held a place of honor in my personal mythology beyond just being an artist whose work I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. That Flash comic is built around the whole multiple Earth concept so important to the classic DCU, and the concept they declared too complicated for fans when they did the Crisis.

    I read that issue of Flash with no previous DC experience at all and understood completely, even as a kid. I'm not that smart, it's just not all that complex a concept, and a great device for stories.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete