Thursday, April 26, 2018

That Girl!


Apparently there's some movie or other debuting this weekend and some rumors have it that Carol Danvers, she who has become Captain Marvel over the years since the death of the good Kree Captain, will play some small role in it. That is substantiated by the publication of True Believers : Carol Danvers which does something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime, gives a high-profile reprint for a vintage Captain Mar-Vell  story from the pages of Marvel Super-Heroes #13, just before the good Captain got his own self-titled gig.


Here are the pages in which Carol Danvers makes her very first comic book appearance in some handsome pages by new writer Roy Thomas, artist Gene Colan and inker Paul Reinman.



And here's the magnificent cover for MSH #13 by Gene Colan and Frank Giacoia, one of my all-time favorites and the last original Captain Marvel story I was able to add to my collection. Love the battle between Mar-Vell and Sentry #459 as they face off. Cap's little belt rockets made little sense, but I adored them.


I started on "Marvel's Space-Born Hero" with the debut of his own comic and it would be several years before I was able to find these vintage back issues. Now the story is readily available for everyone to enjoy.


Now what's this movie everyone is talking about?

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. So, Carol Danvers appears in 5 panels of Marvel Super Heroes # 13… and this is enough to generate a solo reprint issue? Good luck there Marvel. I’d be curious how many issues this moves with comic shops…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eagerly bought one. I never thought I'd buy a vintage Captain Marvel reprint like this, even though Cap ain't the focus. But I might be a minority on this one I admit.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Yeah that's like when I used to get DVDs for a dollar at Dollar Tree because the cover said featuring Marilyn Monroe or featuring rare appearance of Jimmy Stewart. And it always turns out they just have a brief cameo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a great point. I've bought many a collection which had just one thing among many (did it a few weeks ago in fact) that I want.

      Rip Off

      Delete