Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shocking!


Above is a vivid cover by Jack Davis for a short-live magazine titled Shock. Here's a link to get some info on the complete run, all sporting Davis artwork.

Here's the interesting thing to me about this cover. The skulls reflected in the grim visage are clear enough to see. But linking death to sex is a classic sales motivator for liquor and other products. When I got to looking closely at this image, I think I see some sultry imagery just beneath the deadly eye.


Check out this close-up view.

Is that a reclining nude perched beneath that glaring orb? It looks like it might be to me, but it's hard to confirm it. What do you all think?

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. As dear Freddie Wertham used to say: "There are pictures for children who know how to look."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's Wilson Bryan Key when you need him?

    ReplyDelete