Friday, April 5, 2024

We!


We by Yevgeny Zamyatin was written in 1924 in the freshly minted Soviet Union and was published in English in America. This seminal 20th Century dystopian novel wouldn't be published in its original Russian in the territory of Zamyatin's birth until 1988 when the Soviet Union collapsed. The novel is considered a significant influence on the much more widely known 1984 by George Orwell, an influence Orwell readily acknowledged. In fact, it was a reading of We in French by Orwell that kickstarted his own dystopian classic. 


I read We decades ago when I found a copy tucked away in a used bookstore, but I have recently revisited it again in a push to revisit a number of dystopian novels. With the world shaping up in ways that are unfortunate to say the least, a refresher course in what one might expect seems prudent. The structure of We is a journal kept by a single member of a distant future society which has rebuilt itself after some catastrophe. 


The story of We is pretty simple. A man lives in a society in which people are given numbers only and literally live in glass houses so that the state can more readily keep tabs on them. The people are trained to be numb to their emotions save perhaps for periodic sexual satisfaction which is divorced from romance. D-503 is our hero, a man who when we first meet him is happy as a clam and busy working on a spaceship named INTEGRAL. This project is what makes him the target of a woman named I-330 who tempts in any number of ways with her unusual habits. She wants to tempt him to allow her and her cronies, part of a group called Mephi to gain control of INTEGRAL and use it to destroy a great wall which isolates the society from the larger world. 


There are more details of course and other characters, but that's the core through line of this story. The echoes found in Orwell's are remarkable and I won't go into them so as to not spoil either novel for a new reader. We is not easy to read in the sense that I found keeping up with the characters a tad confusing at times since they didn't have actual names. To be fair to the novel, my understanding was inhibited also by a long break between beginning the novel and finishing it. But that aside, since our narrator doesn't often understand what's happening to him, it is easy for me as reader to get confused as well, which perhaps was part of the intent. 


I recommend We to anyone curious about these kinds of tales and what they suggest about the nature of our society. I always find that when the details of a novel like this begin to remind me of news items of the modern day, that I get more than a little distressed. Perhaps like D-590 I need to wake up. Maybe we all do. 

To read We immediately go here. 

They made a movie version a few years ago. Check out the trailer here. Sadly, the movie has not been released as far as I can tell. And Colin Jones tells me the BBC adapted it to radio some years back. Here's a link to the Internet Archive for that one. I'll be giving it a listen today. 

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. There was also a BBC radio adaptation of 'We' which was broadcast only last year I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've located it and added it to the post. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

      Delete
  2. Your mention of the film piqued my interest and I did a little digging. According to a note on the references at WIKI, it's supposed to be released on Dec. 1 of this year. It seems to have gotten through development hell, but who knows what's holding it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to look forward to. Hopefully in December my interest in dystopic futures will still be limited to fiction.

      Delete