Thursday, November 9, 2023

The Dreamwalker


Dreamwalker is a Marvel Graphic Novel from 1989 by writers Billy Mumy and Miguel Ferrer with delicious artwork by the great Gray Morrow. Morrow was an ideal choice for this somewhat gritty tale of crime, espionage, and masked adventure. As far as I know, this is one and only appearance of the Dreamwalker character. 


We learn in the story that the Dreamwalker was a masked vigilante from the 1930's and 1940's who battled organized crime. Turns out he was also the father of the CIA operative Joshua McGann who becomes in due course the new Dreamwalker. It begins when McGann is forced out of the corrupt CIA and discovers that his stepmother is a lawyer in a big-time case which gets her killed, and results in the death of his father as well. Finding the secret of Dreamwalker in his Dad's secret lair, he dons the tux and cape and mask to become  a new version who will seek vengeance and some measure of justice. The corruption he battles runs deep and he makes many mistakes, but one thing he gains is a romance with potential victim Andrea Beck. Using the mystique of the Dreamwalker and some up-to-date CIA technology he lives up to his name of invading the dreams of the criminals. 


One of the treats of this story is Morrow's depiction of many of the characters who are recognizable Hollywood actors. The corrupt CIA chief is a dead ringer for Jose Ferrer, later a hit man is a lookalike for Bruce Lee, the top mob moss looks like Jackie Gleason, and one character reminded me of Ed Asner. I'm sure there are others I didn't catch. This is a well-crafted story that has more than a few twists and turns and the ending does leave open the opportunity for a series, but if one developed, I'm unaware of it. 


I bought mine cheap in a back issue box years ago and if you can find this oddball gem for little dough, I recommend it. 

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm a bit late but can I ask a question relating to yesterday's post - what exactly is a "previously viewed" DVD? I assume you mean a second-hand DVD but, if so, why are second-hand DVDs being sold as new? My local supermarket stopped selling DVDs and CDs altogether about 18 months ago because there was no longer any demand for them apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean second-hand. Some of the discount stores in my region will buy up previously viewed DVDs and repackage them, usually asking too much. This time it was cheap enough to make to take the gamble. I've seen VHS die and now DVD is leaving me behind. I don't see myself investing in a third format.

      Delete
  2. What can you say about Gray Morrow? He was one of those artists who could expertly draw any project thrown his way. His work for Warren was exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gray Morrow was one of those talents who not nearly lauded enough in his lifetime. He's had better treatment since, but his work is amazing in its time.

      Delete
  3. Yet another character/book I have never heard of Rip. Anything with Gray Morrow art is well worth looking out for. Thanks for showing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good stuff. Morrow is always worth the gamble.

      Delete