Thursday, October 27, 2022

Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina!


Well that was both intensely interesting and frustrating. I long ago picked up a copy of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina to savor when the time was ripe. I thought this Halloween season was a great time to indulge at last. And I was very happy as I read one of the truly scariest stories I've come across in comics in a very long time. The story by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and artist Robert Hack is simultaneously charming and (as advertised) chilling. 



The alluring Sabrina of the 60's is here in a manner of speaking. We see her birth, her early childhood and we see her as a girl of sixteen stranded between the two aspects of her origins as a rare hybrid child of a warlock and a human woman. We see her choose a path and we see the awful consequences of that choice. The story as told is at once charming and alarming, with a sweetness to the illustration that belies to an extent the coldness of the story. There are life and death consequences to the events in this story, surprising and at times cruel ones. This is not the stuff of a typical Riverdale adventure, which is as advertised. 

But I was careless in that I thought this edition had more of the story than I thought it did. This tome which bought on the cheap somewhere only has the first five installments of the tale. And as good as they are, the ending is abrupt and leaves many stones left to be turned. 






The collection includes the five issues above. Also included are lots of extras, such alternate covers and  preliminary artwork. So it's not a bad package, just not a complete one and as far as I can tell there has never been a second volume. 





These last four issues are not included and I guess you need them to tell the story. They have apparently all been collected in something called Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - The Occult Edition from 2019. I'll have see if that's worth my while. The story is a compelling one, but not so that I want own it multiple times. As always amigos -- caveat emptor.

Rip Off
 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a Steve "Hercules" Reeves swipe on the cover of issue #7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's supposed to be Sabrina's father, a rather dissolute fellow to say the least.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this title but I did read the " Archie Afterlife" magazine which was excellent ( and reprinted a few Archie classic tales as back ups). Good to see both Sabrina and the old Red Circle "Chilling Adventures (in Sorcery)" rite are still going on some form. The original Dan DeCarlo Sabrina though is still my favourite version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something inexplicable about the appeal of those vintage Archie tales. They are just good to look at.

      Delete