Thursday, November 30, 2017

King Of The West!


Jack"King" Kirby did more westerns than I thought when I first looked into it. While it's not a genre he's famous for, he seemed to have a good handle on the elements of showcasing the western landscapes and staging the action of gun play.  Up top is the very first western cover featuring the King's artwork that I could locate, an issue of Prize Western. Below we have covers for Boys' Ranch, Bulls Eye, Wyatt Earp, Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt, Two-Gun Kid and more. Enjoy some vintage Kirby!
































Historical Accuracy Update: Thanks to loyal Dojo reader Britt Reid I learned of an earlier Jack Kirby cover than the Prize Western cover which leads off this gallery. Here it is in all its glory.


Here is Hillman's Western Fighters #1 from 1948 -- it's a good one too.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Not to one-up your research (and a really nice selection of Kirby Kovers), but there's an eariler cover that made quite an impression on me due to its' sheer dynamism when I first saw it at a convention...Hillman's Western Fighters V01N01 (April-May 1948)
    http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25337
    AFAIK, it's the only Western cover he did for Hillman before moving on to Prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I will check into that one. It may well be added to the roster.

      Rip Off

      Delete