Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Omnibus Of The Fourth World Kind!


Around Christmas time, DC is planning to cap off its year-long celebration of the "King of Comics" Jack Kirby with a ginormous collection which gathers together under one single cover all fifty-seven of the delicious Fourth World comics produced in that hectic period in 1971 to 1972 and a little beyond when Kirby's unabashed creativity was sprawling across the newsstands. Jimmy Olsen #133-139, New Gods #1-11, Forever People #1-11, Mister Miracle #1-18, along with the later stuff in the 80's which put a period on this era in DC Graphic Novel #4 (The Hunger Dogs) and a bit more from New Gods #4 (the reprint series). That's a lot of comic books under one honking cover.


I'm a "Fourth World Baby"! I was there in the 70's when New Gods #1 dropped onto the local newsstands and it changed my world. I followed the series in its original form  (without fully grokking it, but always aware it was greater than the sum of its parts). I eagerly snatched up the revival in the 80's when Kirby was asked in his latter days to put a coda on the saga. I was there in the 90's when the first reprints hit the stands. I was there in the new century when a full-color reprint series arrived which cataloged the books just as I always stored them, as chapters in a long unfinished novel. I was there only a few years ago when IDW started issuing some of the stories in the original art formats. And I've been there all along picking up this bit and that scrap as DC has issued the original Kirby in all sorts of weirdo packages.


Do I need this omnibus? Hell no! Do I want this omnibus? Hell yes! Will I buy this omnibus? We'll see -- I probably will.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. You can give it to yourself as Christmas present!! ;)

    ReplyDelete