Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Old Man Fights Obselesence!


Well that's a kick in the teeth.

I woke up this morning to find that my computer will no longer get the full tech support it requires going forward and will soon then be unprotected in the wild west of the internet. The solution seems to be to buy a new computer. Now admittedly my system is an ancient one with its quaint computer tower and separate keyboard and screen and such, but it seems utterly foolish to have to buy something new to replace that which is still working, but that's the modern world we live in (sigh).

There are nearly a full month's worth of posts already developed and scheduled here, but I might be unable to tweak them so if you notice an even rougher presentation than normal please be kind. It's a pain since by changing computers I will be losing some pretty extensive files I've built up over the last few years, but that's the way it goes. I've been through this before, but it's been a while. I guess it's time to bite the bullet and enter the modern world of the laptop (yeah I know everyone uses tablets, but I can only move so quickly).

Sorry about the problems which might develop and please forgive my relative silence on issues if the worst happens. But like the man falling from a skyscraper said on his way down, it's okay so far.

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for all that you do on this fine blog site Rip. I work with computers. They suck. Reading your blog is frequently the high point of my work day…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fine compliment. I truly appreciate it. I hope to keep it going for some time.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Yikes, sorry Rip. Computer troubles are always a pain, as they hit at the worst times. Can't you at least move your files to the new computer with a thumb drive? That way you'll still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are not quite as dire I suppose as I at first reckoned but they are uncertain. I don't know from day to day if the site will be locked up or something. But as long as I can I'll keep it running and have already started to figure out what hardware I'm getting next. As for files, sometimes this can be like a refreshing fire, clearing out the detritus which gathers and makes room for new growth.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. What operating system are you using?
    I'm on Mac OSX 10.8 for both a desktop and laptop, but I still have a "legacy" Mac running OS8 because there are several programs like Fontographer I use, but never got the upgrades for!
    (Plus it has all my AfterDark screensavers, which were never upgraded to OSX)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked with my daughter and she says my machine is too antique to support the programs I will need, so I guess its time to buy a new one. Sigh.

      Rip Off

      Delete