Thursday, September 18, 2014

Don't Yield, Back SHIELD!


I was a mere youth when I got my mitts on a copy of Strange Tales #177. The iconic cover by Jim Steranko featuring Nick Fury flanked by the Contessa Valenti9na Allegra de Fontaine and Clay Quartermain with Dum Dum Dugan and the Gaffer along with a SHIELD agent to be named later in the back ground blew my ten-year-old mind. I traced this image of Nick over and over and over again, often giving it to friends who envied my tracing skills, and even to girls who I wanted the attention of. It worked a little bit even.


When I recently saw this Marvel Masterwork Pin-Up version of the classic Steranko images I was blown away all over again. I'm not sure in my adult mind if the anatomy works as it ought, but I know that cast in front of the stars and stripes this one is a keeper for the ages, one of the best covers Mighty Marvel ever published.


 And here's a typically clever Bongo cover homage to this Steranko classic.

'Nuff Said!

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Actually it's the pin-up that I remember not the Strange Tales cover. The pin-up must have been reprinted in a '70s UK Marvel comic because it is indeed very familiar and iconic. These are the REAL "agents of SHIELD".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a striking image, a most memorable one.

      Rip Off

      Delete