Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Dedicated Hearts!


I've been putting off posting this. My beloved wife, she who must always be obeyed, has been pretty seriously ill in recent weeks. This has resulted in a protracted hospital stay and it's not too dramatic to say that points in this situation we did not know if she would still be with us today. Needless to say it's been a pretty hectic time filled with profound emotions. If not for my lovely daughters who have been doing the most gracious work with keeping her company and me on an even keel I'd have been adrift for certain. My mother and my siblings have also been very supportive as have my wife's many friends. My own health has been a bit tenuous, but I'm on the mend for certain. My wife is improving too, slowly but surely as I write though daily adjustments are necessary.

All of that simply means that the Dojo, while remaining open for business might suffer unexpectedly at times times from neglect. I work ahead, so for most of this crisis things have been largely going as planned, but we are reaching the end of those well-laid schemes at the end of the month and going forward don't panic if things go static for some short periods of time. This blog has proven to be a lovely refuge for me over the years and I don't plan to stop participating any time soon. But because of the extended health needs of my beloved, I might have to be making some life-altering changes sooner than later and move off into retirement. That might open the door for more time and it might not. Too soon to know about any of this but while I'm generally loathe to blather on too much about my personal doings, this seemed a good time to mention all this.

For now expect things to keep on truckin', but as we all know too well, the future is well and truly an unknown country.

Rip Off

17 comments:

  1. Mere words from the likes of me are inadequate of course, but I hope that your wife and yourself make full recoveries soon, Rip. Good to know you're being supported by your family.

    Incidentally, Nurse Cynthia seems to be running off with that baby while nobody's looking. It's always the ones you'd never suspect, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the kind words and she does seem to be getting better. It's going to be many weeks before she can get out of the hospital, but at least now that's the discussion.

      As for Cynthia, I'll give her the benefit of a doubt. While I've learned that not all nurses are angels, enough are that I am will to forgive those who fall short.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Wishing for steady improvement and a complete recovery for you and your wife, Rip. Those of us on the other side of your blog appreciate the time you put into your always interesting and enjoyable posts. Whatever the future of the Dojo, we want good things for you. As Stan probably cribbed from Jack: Excelsior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts. Much appreicated.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. Sincere best & good health wishes to you and yours Rip. I’m always grateful for your fine, fresh work out here at the Dojo. (My only recommendation would be that you have Tiger sweep up once in awhile – there’s sunflower seed shells all over the Dojo floor in the cellar - near the spinner rack with the nunchucks, kendo sticks, Godzilla videos and Fu Manchu paperbacks.)…Say, did Marvel ever collect that Night Nurse series from the seventies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger is a worthless schmuck. As for Night Nurse, only the first issue has been reprinted to my knowledge in the Marvel Firsts volumes.

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. There's a 2015 TPB that reprints the 1970s series and her introduction into the Marvel Universe in Daredevil #460..
      https://www.comics.org/issue/1353545/#1521379

      Delete
  4. I hope both of you continue to improve, Rip. I enjoy visiting your blog and will continue to do so, exploring the earlier posts that I've missed. I understand completely about having to put things on hiatus. I had to cease operations on my blog a couple of months ago because of an increase in personal responsibilities and health issues with family members. Hopefully, things will get better for both of you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hiatus yet, but alas the future is unknowable. Hope you and yours are doing well amigo.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  5. Like Professor X channeling all of the positive energy of mankind in "Slaves of the Star-Spawn" or perhaps the doggy-telegraph in "Lady and the Tramp", all of the wonderful entertainment you have given us is being amplified and returned by all of us as our love and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the good vibes my man. Thanks.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  6. Wishing you and your wife the very best of health.

    The Dojo is an oasis of comic fun in the desert of reality.

    But of course we understand that you do it for fun in your spare time and sometimes you don't have that time to spare.

    And we appreciate all the time you put into to making the Dojo what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be getting nothing but spare time sooner than later. If retirement is something I have to take to take care of my better half, it might me even ore activity here. Who knows. Thanks for the kind words.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  7. Family comes first...always.
    Do what you need to do.
    We'll be here.
    You're worth waiting for.
    -B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sir. Time will tell, but for now things should move along at regular speed.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear about your wife. It's good your daughters are there to help you both out. Please take care of her, and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We doing just that. Thanks for the kind words.

      Rip Off

      Delete