Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Old And The New!


It's difficult to say after the last year what the new one will hold. It's far too easy to get caught up in the overwrought drama of the day-to-day political world and imagine that this remark or that quip will turn the corner on a new deal. One has to take a longer view, a task easier to do as years aggregate on your shoulders. I fear the new year and the next several years to come will make life much more difficult for the most downtrodden and unlucky in the population as the wheels of power have been taken over by those who imagine themselves our proper rulers. I keep hoping the light will shine keenly on the miasma which passes for political discourse at the highest levels, but fear that no light will burn brightly enough to cut through the swiftly accumulating crud.

Life is local and perhaps that's the answer. Instead of looking to world leaders for guidance, just focus on the immediate and take care of business as best one can. One would hope that folks in general would accept the responsibilities of a social contract, but more and more it seems not the be the case. But that means there's more for the rest of us to do. So I pledge myself this year to focus on what can be done to help those that need it and spend less precious time wobbling on about what the political gossip of the hour might be.

Me and mine are well by and large. My wife's health is improving after some devastating falls forced some hospital stays, a bit of surgery, and yet more physical therapy. She is admired by those who know her for her resilient persona, though I see the times when it's difficult to push forward. She's a strong woman and well worth my time to help as best I can. My daughters continue to serve as teachers to a clientele which is often forgotten and ignored and pushed aside, either because of their origins or language or lack of resources or all of that together. They do good work for people who really need good work done, and I could not be more proud of them. The world can be a dark place but we all have to work to make it better and I must do my part. I vow to do more, to do better.

And now a story about what can happen when prudent people see a disaster coming and do what they can to help save those who might not be so wise.









Happy New Year to all. I hope to see each and every one of you in the coming year right here. I know I plan to keep the home fire burning in these cold times.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping the fire burning for us readers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cold out there. Thanks for sharing the fire.

      Rip Off

      Delete