Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Dick Tracy Meets The Spirit!


I've been following the Dick Tracy strip for a few months now regularly and did not know this was happening until a few weeks ago when the Spirit suddenly appeared in the strip by Mike Curtis and the great Joe Staton. Wowser! I've not been a particular fan of what Dynamite has been doing with the character but I am downright gleeful to see one of my favorite artists take a swing at Will Eisner's iconic comic figure. If anyone can capture the blend of drama and fun which Eisner produced at his best, it's Staton.

(This bogus cover image is from the always delightful Super-Team Family - The Lost Issues.)
To see more covers like the amazing mash up of Dick Tracy and The Spirit above check out this link to Super-Team Family - The Lost Issues.



The fantastic faux cover above appears to my eye to be a blend of these evocative originals.

Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. I own the original art from that Staton TRACY cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GCD doesn't atrribute that cover to anyone and I wasn't sure it was Staton. Thanks for the info. Beauty!

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out, Rip! My blog switched to Super-Team Family: The Lost Issues after a couple of years of doing "lost" Brave and the Bold and Marvel Two-In-One covers, and that's what it will remain as it offers a lot more potential for team-up possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. I've corrected the post as well updating my sidebar link, a link I use pretty near every day to see what delights you've cooked up. Thanks for the work over there.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I'll def keep an eye out for that comic when it hits the shelves I love Joe Statons work - thanks for the update - The lost "Super Team Family" issue covers are pure genius so many of these should be actual full fledged comic team ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it's not a comic yet, but the strip is available online. I've linked it up in the sidebar for user convenience. Maybe they'll publish this one when it's finished. I'd buy it.

      Rip Off

      Delete