Sunday, February 13, 2011

Werewolves By Night!


Joe Maneely

Neal Adams

I did not know that the "Werewolf by Night" title was a revival of a vintage Atlas comics story highlighted by a cover drawn by Joe Maneely. I stumbled across this fact during my recent Maneely research, and frankly I cannot understand why more is not made of this. Likely it's mentioned in some issue of Werewolf by Night or Monsters Unleashed that I've forgotten about.

The similarity of the covers above by Joe Maneely and Neal Adams respectively indicate an awareness.

Jack Abel

Here's a link to the vintage story by Jack Abel, as well as an early installment of Jack Russel's saga under the lush artistry of Mike Ploog.

Reed Crandall

Also included at this link is a vivid Reed Crandall werewolf story.

Rip Off

1 comment:

  1. I read somewhere that the "Werewolf By Night" series was originally conceived by Roy Thomas under the title "I, Werewolf" (hence the first person narration by Jack throughout).

    I wonder who at Marvel was familiar enough with the archives to suggest the title change?

    ReplyDelete